When Joan and I started our RV travels we knew with the limited space in the 5th wheel storage for appliances would come at a premium. We took the basics – toaster, blender, small crock pot and coffee maker. After a couple years of travel we ran into issues with ice. Freeze storage was limited and we always had issues with the small 10lb bags; we ran out at the most inconvenient times, convenience stores weren’t nearby, and many times the bags were large frozen lumps. We purchased a small portable ice maker to remedy. This worked, but it was constantly running to make enough ice. Freezimer contacted us and provided a larger portable ice maker to try. We’ve been testing the 2200 model for over a week and we could not be happier with the results.
Freezimer Portable Ice Maker
We tested the Freezimer 33lb Portable Ice Maker model in stainless steel. The ice maker measured 9.6*15.9*16.9 inches and easily fit on a counter top and in a storage cabinet for travel. We ran the unit throughout the week producing 1 to 2 baskets of ice each day. We found the ice production to be consistent throughout the day with no change in the ice size or quality. The ice maker is easy to use, yet feature rich:
- The Freezimer ice maker is capable of making 33 pounds of ice per day. The provided ice basket can store as much as 3.3 pounds of ice at a time.
- There are two ice cube size selections – large and small. We found the small cube to be only slightly smaller than the large option. That wasn’t a problem for our needs and prefer the larger cubes taking less time to make plus these have a tendency to last longer in a beverage or tote cooler in warmer climates.
- The ice cubes are opaque and this is our preference since we both enjoy eating the ice from our beverage and the softer ice is easier to chew.
- Ice production is quick with the first cubes produced in 7-10 minutes and the large cubes filling the 3.3lb basket in 3 hours.
- The ice maker has a self-cleaning function. This is something we do every week or two depending on use. Running the ice maker in the self-cleaning mode took a couple of minutes.
- The ice maker has an infrared sensor that shows when the unit is running out of water or the ice basket has reached max capacity. When either of these conditions have occurred, the ice maker will stop working and an indicator light will light red.
We put the Freezimer Portable Ice Maker through the paces and produced over 200lbs of ice during our evaluation. We liked the quality of the ice produced and the quick production of over 3lbs of ice in 3 hours. We’ve provided this Amazon link if you are considering a portable ice maker for your RV travels.
Purchased use of Digital Juice BackTraxx 1 End User License Agreement for Travelin. The Music may be used, altered, or incorporated according to the guidelines described herein into any production (including but not limited to, broadcast, commercial, industrial, educational, and personal).
SEE OUR COMPLETE LIST OF BLOG TITLES